Use powercfg to set Windows power states from a script or command line.
I’ve had a client whose Linux Server (CentOS) gradually gets slower and slower, then falls over.
By logging into the MySQL command line, we were able to see that there were some long running queries that never end.
| Id | User | Host | db | Command | Time | State | Info |
| 2322386 | ssgadmin | 10.21.1.149:58526 | sugarcrm_ssg | Query | 2202 | Sending data | SELECT IFNULL(hr_humanresources.last_name,’’) hr_humanresources_last_name ,l3_cstm.verification_c l3 |
The key part here is that
hr_humanresources_last_name has an underscore between the table name when it should be a period i.e.
hr_humanresources.last_name. Knowing the table name was enough to tell me it was caused by something to do with SugarCRM that’s running on that server. But we don’t yet know what action caused these queries.
Knowing it was
2202 seconds ago from the time we ran the query we are able to pinpoint a time the action occurred. Looking through the SugarCRM log files did turn up that the error was often caused by a single user, but didn’t show up anything to help us figure out exactly what was the causal issue. Talking with that user, getting them to do what they’d done at that time didn’t turn up anything, the error wasn’t reproducing on demand.
So I turned to looking in the
tracker table in the SugarCRM MySQL database for entries around the time of the error. Turns out that there is a Dashlet being loaded, that Dashlet uses a Report.
Each time I load the Dashlet or run the Report I get a corresponding long running query turn up. We’ve found our culprit, and we’re now able to recreate the report.
By default it’s in the same base folder as the SugarCRM application files. But on occasion we’ll move it. Quickly find it’s location by looking in the
config.php file. The two relevant lines are:
‘log_dir’ => ‘/var/log/sugarcrm/’,
‘log_file’ => ‘sugarcrm.log’,
If you’re at the command line, then this makes it easy:
grep 'log_dir' config.php
From the command line
find / -name 'index.html' 2>/dev/null
This will find and display all occurances of
index.html and all the errors will not display.
Testing 1, 2, 3
Nothing to see, move along.
At the MySQL commandline, you can enter
and see what processes are running.
If you’re tracking down some problematic code and you’ve got a query (or set of queries) that don’t end, consume CPU cycles and generally bog everything down to a crawl, it can be helpful to know what time you’ve run the command above. Thusly, I now run this:
show processlist; select now as current_date_time;
and it rather nicely tells me the current date/time on the MySQL server, using the Time column from the processlist, you can work out a tad more accurately when a query started, giving you a starting point to look in other logs.
Now those long running sql queries are easier to track down.
I use Day One to journal. There is a service that creates a new Day One entry from the selection, but it didn’t have a hotkey associated with it. So I’ve set one up.
First (optional) step is to use to make your CAPS LOCK key useful. Big thanks to Brett Terpstra for that, I use that for loads of other shortcuts.
Next step is to add a shortcut for the New Day One Entry With Selection using the instructions to create keyboard shortcuts in the Apple knowledge base.
I used CAPSLOCK D as the hotkey to send whatever I’ve got currently selected to Day One as a new entry, works a treat.
Note: this is ^⇧⌥⌘–D using the optional first step, so it is the same as pressing Control, Shift, Option, Command, D all at the same time.
I just needed to compress and encrypt some files on Mac OS X. The following command does that:
zip -ejr TARGET SOURCEFOLDER
This will ask for a password (twice to confirm it), encrypt and compress the sourcefolder and put it into a file named target (and auto add the .zip extension).
To unzip it do this:
unzip SOURCE -d TARGETFOLDER
This will ask for the password, decrypt and uncompress it into the targetfolder.