I watched a video by Seth Priebatsh (at SCVNGR) about the Game Layer On Top Of The World and it sparked my interest. A google search later and I found myself watching this 20min video by Jesse Schell on The Future Of Games which, although it answered a lot, left me with more questions than answers. With my mind whirring, I remembered that in the video by Seth, he said that there were seven dynamics, four of which he shared, three of which he was keeping to himself.
Was this simply Seth using some kind of ‘game dynamic’ on us? alluding to some other hidden achievement, leaving it up to us to go find? I think so, the guy runs a businesses that implements game dynamics for profit, they want more clients, what better way to gate prospects through to the next level than using game dynamics? Those that search it out are self qualifying themselves for that next level1. And that thought is one we should emulate. We can implement game dynamics into our own processes, internally and externally.
Those that are interested will seek out more knowledge. This makes us (the prospects) self qualify ourselves. Those that then apply this knowledge themselves are members of a group so small that it doesn’t matter to Seth and Jesse.
Take this application further and ask yourself some questions:
- How could we use game dynamics to attract and motivate prospects?
- Are we doing in such a way that gets our prospects to self qualify themselves? Without further action from us until they’ve self qualified to the point of contacting us?
- Are our marketing efforts actually leading the prospect to our door if they qualify or away from us? What dynamics are at play? Can we tweak it?
- Can we use game dynamics to make interacting with our company more interesting for our prospects? More educational? More reputation building?
What about our existing clients?
- Could we use game dynamics to make life easier for our clients?
- How could we apply game dynamics to the billing/invoicing procedures for clients?
- Can we use game dynamics to encourage further use of our services? The recommendation of our services to others?
What about internally?
- Could we have staff engage on a deeper level with the goals and purpose of the company thru the use of game dynamics?
Don’t forget, games normally have more than one level and so should our own application of game dynamics. We may start with one level, implement that, that’s healthy. Good. Then go add another level that improves the system. Then another, and another.
So what were the other 3 game dynamics Seth spoke about? I could make you look for yourself, or I could give you the link to the full list of game dynamics, all
sevenforty seven as determined by SCVNGR.
Watch Cat Matson talk about her introduction to Game Dynamics at the SxSW 2011 festival where she mentions a few possibilities.
Just as games differ, so to will our individual approaches, that game we play will be dependant on the game result we wish to achieve.
Can you use game dynamics? How are you applying this knowledge? What are your thoughts about this?
1 See entry 7. Cascading Information Theory in the full list of game dynamics.