I know two people who have just bought themselves new Apple Mac computers, one a behemoth desktop, the other a 15″ MacBook Pro. Both have been immersed in “Windows World” and are essentially new to the Mac OS (one did have a Mac years ago).
So, where to start?
Here are my initial tips:
- Be prepared for some frustration. It doesn’t work the way you’re used to. Yes, it’s change. It’s worth it, you’ll be more productive, I am.
- The keyboard and the trackpad are your friend. More than you know. Learn the ‘gestures’. single tap on the trackpad is a left click, two finger tap on the trackpad is a right click.
- Get in the habit of pressing the ‘Option’ key. You’ll suddenly find extra options.
- Use COMMAND-SPACE to start Spotlight. Use Spotlight.
- Use Google Chrome as your browser.
- Working with words? do your drafts in ByWord. Power tip: learn Markdown.
- Working with programming code? use TextWrangler.
That’s a start. I’m sure they’ll have more questions yet.