I’m often asked what software and hardware I’m using. This page attempts to answers that question.
I’ve switched from living in ‘Microsoft/Windows Land’ since the early 90’s to Mac in 2013. Wish I’d done it sooner. The integration between the devices is wonderful.
- MacBook Pro – From early 2013, with 8GB RAM & 256GB SSD. Love it. Next time I’ll spring for the max RAM I can.
- iPhone 8 Plus – Great handheld computer, plus it has a phone.
- iPad Pro 10.5″ – with Apple keyboard cover and Apple Pencil.
I added a pen clip from the “Bullet” Fischer Space Pen to the Apple Pencil, obtained from the Pen Shoppe Shop 24 Brisbane Arcade 160 Queen Street Brisbane QLD. The Apple Pencil is finally a real digital replacement for a paper pad and pen. The iPad Pro 10.5 is the best tablet I’ve ever used, to the point where it is my primary device.
- Apple AirPods – The. Best. Wireless. Ear Buds. ❤
- Daycraft iPad Pocket – Keeps my iPad protected.
- Suzuki Bandit 1250 – gotta have transport.
- Doc Martens – 1460 Boots and 1461 Shoes.
- Dunlop Volleys – canvas shoes.
- Kuru Toga 0.7mm – my favourite mechanical pencil.
- Fisher Space Pen – the SM4B Non-Reflective Military Matte Black, great pen.
- Moleskine – delightful notebooks.
- Cold Bruer – cold drip coffee.
- Nespresso Coffee Machine – If you’re going to drink pod coffee, don’t settle for less than one of these.
- Leatherman – multi-tools are useful.
- DJI Osmo Mobile Gimbal – smooths panning when taking video.
- Rode Smart Lav+ – great lavalier microphones, hang it on your lapel and record good audio.
- Manfrotto Tripod – keep the camera or gimbal steady.
- Canon 6D Mark I – Full frame camera, mostly using a 25-70 lens.
- All. Safari Books Online – access bucketloads of technical and business books and videos, wonderful training resource.
- All. Dropbox – cloud file storage.
- All. 1Password – trust me, you need a password manager. This is the one to use.
- iOS. GoodNotes – Digital Ink. This is a required app if you’ve got an iPad Pro and Pencil. It makes taking real notes just like, well, taking real notes. Drop in PDF files, scribble on them, mark them up, share them. I use it daily.
- iOS. Drafts 4 – capture text and send it to where it needs to be (screencasts)
- Mac, iOS. Ulysses – markdown friendly text document editor.
- iOS. Workflow – Create powerful workflows on iOS.
- iOS. Working Copy – hands down the best Git client on iOS.
- iOS. DJI GO – video recording and controlling the Osmo Mobile Gimbal.
- iOS. FiLMiC Pro – video recording
- iOS. LumaFusion – video editing
- iOS. Essential Anatomny 5 – understanding the body.
- Mac, iOS. Duet – turn your iPad into a second screen for your Mac.
- Mac, iOS. Bear – markdown editor, near instant sync across devices.
- Mac, iOS. Byword – wonderful markdown text editor.
- Mac. Hazel – file and folder automation.
- Mac. Keyboard Maestro – automate repetitive tasks.
- Mac. A useful Caps Lock key – Bretts instructions turn your Caps Lock key into something far more useful.
- Mac. Marked 2 – markdown previewer.
- Mac. Backblaze – online backup.
- Mac. Navicat for MySQL – makes working with MySQL much easier.
- Atlassian Products
- Web. JIRA – used for managing multiple projects (Scrum, Kanban, Scrumban).
- Web. Confluence – a wiki, tightly integrated with JIRA.
- Web. Bitbucket/Git – source code control.
- All. HipChat – IM/Chat, tightly integrated with JIRA, Bitbucket and more.
- note that my employer is a partner of Atlassian, feel free to contact us :) www.evolutionmarketing.com.au
- OS. CentOS – Redhat compatible linux.
Methodologies, Standards and Other Stuff
- GTD – Getting Things Done.
- Kanban – Visualise your work, Limit your work in progress.
- Markdown – plain text formatting, easy to use on any platform, ensures future usability.
- Anaconda – Open Data Science Platform Powered by Python.
- Pythonista – Pythonista is a development environment for writing Python scripts on iOS.